Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Servant King

scan0015Behold my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights; I have put my Spirit upon him; he will bring forth justice to the nations. He will not cry aloud or lift up his voice, or make it heard in the street; a bruised reed he will not break, and a faintly burning wick he will not quench; he will faithfully bring forth justice. He will not grow faint or be discouraged till he has established justice in the earth. Isaiah 42:1-4 ESV

Whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." Mark 10:43 ESV

The title public servant is common but the concept of being a leader and a servant isn’t. Isaiah’s servant is anointed by the Spirit and brings justice, but his justice will not bruise or break. The Servant King, just as the Good Shepherd, will guard the weak and dependent, taking them in his arms to protect and carry them.

Jesus came to serve. He became a man and died an unjust death. He gave his life so we could live. Instead of pursuing a political kingdom with its riches and power, he humbled himself and become a servant. Through service his kingdom was established.

“King Jesus, anoint me with the spirit of service. Help me not promote myself, but to love, care for and bless others.”

Advent 15: Light for the Nations

Advent 1 - In the Beginning

The way up is down; the road to influence is the path of service.

No comments: