Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Change and Challenge

Last night Trey Hill shared about seasons, seasons of change and challenge... We do not like change, but it is necessary. Challenge is difficult, but all goes through challenging times and challenge brings change and blessings.

This morning as I was reading Jeremiah I made an interesting observation. Jeremiah 21:10 says "I have set my face against this city for harm and not for good, declares the LORD..." That was prophesied against Jerusalem. vs. 9 says, "He who stays in this city shall die by the sword, by famine, and by pestilence, but he how goes out... shall live and shall have his life as a prize of war." Not good news for the Jews that revered so their holy city and temple of worship.

Yet... consider Jeremiah 29. Here Jeremiah is prophesying to the captive people in Babylon. He challenges them to build houses and live in them; plant gardens and eat their produce... marry and multiply. Seek the good of the city where I have sent you... in its welfare you will find your welfare [29:5-7]. Then in vs. 11 is the big promise and hope for them. "I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

What must we do? Leave the "holy city" and established religious practices. Go where God sends us. Seek the LORD. Call upon Him. Come to Him. Pray. Seek and you'll find. Seek with your while heart. I will be found by you! [verses12-13]

The final promise, what is it? "I will restore your fortunes and gather you from all the nations and all the places where I have driven you... I will bring you back to the place from which I sent you into exile." vs14 The anointing and the power and the revelation and the blessing and the joy and the celebration will return. Why? because we turned loose of our comfort and traditions. We left our city and went to the foreign land [the world] and blessed them with our presence.

Lord, let your face shine upon me as I go to the land where you have sent me. Allow me to bless those around me. In blessing them is my blessing.

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 ESV

No comments: